On a Saturday afternoon, I received an urgent message from a good friend attached with shocking pictures, saying I'm dog sitting this dog and this is the current situation, as I couldn't believe my eyes. I immediately stopped what I was doing and rushed over to the house. I was rocked to my core when I saw this poor dog named Penny and her current state of health. I honestly, had never seen an animal in such bad shape.
- She was hot to the touch
- She had open and bleeding sores from head to toe
- She was itching uncontrollably
- She was skin and bones
- She had a double ear infection
- Her skin was fire engine red
- She had almost no hair from head to toe
- She had an incredibly strong yeast smell
- She had significant muscle mass loss
- She had a slant to her back hips
- She was virtually lifeless
Assessing her, I immediately knew she had systemic infections definitely yeast, perhaps bacterial and it looked as if she had advanced stages of mange and most likely leaky gut, along with potential heavy chemical poison load, creating massive inflammation from head to tail.
Knowing the effects that kibble can have on the body, I knew she needed to go off highly inflammatory kibble, nourish her body with fresh nutritious food and start on repairing supplements. And, I only recommend medications in emergencies, and knew she definitely needed medical intervention, pronto.
We immediately started her on a fresh nutritious rebuilding repairing species appropriate diet, there was no time for transitioning. She gobbled it up! What dog wouldn't with a bowl full of grass fed red meat, eggs, broccoli and coconut oil – that is their ancestral diet.
We began bathing her daily with a mane to tail horse antibacterial shampoo to start healing the infection on the outside, as this is a reflection of the inside of her body.
We had to anxiously wait two days until the vet was open. We brought her into her usual vet on Monday at their earliest appointment. Much to my surprise the vet simply stated “Yep, that's Penny, that's how she looks, she has ALLERGIES.” Allergies.
He noted she had infections including a severe yeast infection, but no other medications were offered to help give her relief, not even an antifungal.
I asked to run blood work to rule anything else out, the vet's reply “No,” I asked to run a fecal test to rule out parasites absorbing her nutrients, he said “No.”
I asked him if he was concerned about how skinny she was, he said “No.” My mind was blown. I thought, he cannot be looking at the same dog?! Read that again. He said NO. This is how she looked at that appointment.
He sent us home with Bravecto, a flea and tick medication, that could have the potential to help with mange, but not for 28 days. We were begging him to offer Penny some relief. He said he wanted to try ONE medication at a time. Meanwhile, Penny had already been suffering and had been seen by him for years. We were furious.
Needless to say, we moved forward with the natural therapies. A couple days later we reached out to him and insisted on 3 medications that we felt would help give her some immediate relief and help get her above the wellness line quickly and temporarily, of course, in addition to a real food diet and repairing supplements, he did agree to offer them to us – finally.
Prevention and health do not come from a needle or chemicals …
It turns out Penny's owners were throwing money hand over fist towards vet bills to get her better. The vet just kept saying she has “allergies” and over the years just kept prescribing medications and allergy shots. They were not working, but the vet kept prescribing them.
When I looked over her health history, it was clear that Penny's owner was going in to the vet regularly. In fact, I'm sure they spent thousands of dollars on Penny's “health care”. When Erin, Penny's mom first adopted her, she even was sent home with medication for an infection. So, this was essentially 6 years in the making. For 6 years these vet's never addressed the root cause. Reading over Penny's health history was difficult for me. Vaccines for distemper, hepatits, lepto, flu, parvo, corona, bordatella and rabies every year and then proheart heartworm injections every 6 months. We already know that every vaccine is contaminated and/or they’re making them out of backbones of retroviruses. Retroviruses are any of a group of RNA viruses that insert a DNA copy of their genome into the host cell in order to replicate, e.g., HIV. They cripple and disable the immune system, as we clearly see in this case.
“Heartworm preventatives are a huge income to both veterinary clinics and the big pharmaceutical companies that manufacture the drugs…There are other alternatives to these poisonous chemicals…” – Dr. Barbara Royal, DVM
Penny's complaints and vet visits were ear infection visits several times a year, skin issues, yeast infections, swelling of the ear canal, all over dermatitis and hip issues – over and over. Throughout these visits Penny was prescribed a myriad of medications and then allergy shots, again never addressing the root cause of her inflammation and allergies.
The vet clearly knew Penny had a compromised immune system and was not well, yet the vet happily kept vaccinating her every 6-12 months. The vaccine inserts even clearly state to vaccine only healthy animals.
Let's talk food …
“Veterinarians have convinced an entire 100 years of pet owners that if you feed anything other than pet food, dry kibble, or canned food, you could be harming your pet. In fact, veterinarians are the only wellness profession that actually tell you to eat more processed food and fresh food could be risky.” – Dr. Karen Becker DVM.
We already know that food controls everything that is happening in our bodies. Throughout Penny's care of severe skin issues and infections, the vet not once talked to Erin about the quality of food or getting Penny on real fresh species appropriate food. They just kept pushing kibble and “prescription kibble”. Which was at the root cause of all her systemic issues and alleged “allergies”.
“When kibble comes down the intestinal tract and it finds that leaky gut, that hole in the intestinal lining, caused by genetically-modified ingredients, hormones, chemicals, pesticides, stress, EMF, anything that caused that intestinal lining to be impaired, then that chunk comes in, and when it gets to the liver, Mr. Liver looks at that and goes “Oh my goodness, we’re under attack.” “Mount the inflammatory response,” which is the liver’s job is to get rid of invaders. So, it mounts this huge inflammatory response, which gets rid of the invader, but it also causes more leaky gut. If that were the only time it happened, you’d be good to go. But when it’s happening every bite, after every bite, after every bite, every meal, twice a day times the age of your pet, you can see where that inflammatory response becomes overwhelming. That’s why we see the ear infections. Because what is an ear? It’s skin wrapped up into a tube and stuck down a deep, dark hole. So, the first sign of inflammation in a lot of our animals are going to be ear infections. And when it gets more pervasive, then we start seeing itching and other forms of allergy. And then we start seeing inflammatory bowel disease and vomiting problems, and arthritis. Arthritis is huge.” – Dr. Marlene Siegel, DVM
- Raw food diet. This is critical. Nutrients such as fat soluble activators such as Vitamins A, D, E and K rebuild tissues, organs, glands and cells. Organ meats provide the RNA and DNA for repairing tissues and cells. Dogs not only have NO need for grains, legumes and sugars such as fruit, but they actually feed stem/parent cancer cells, feed pathogens and inflammation.
- Strong probiotics. These helped boost Penny's good bacteria and tamp down her pathogenic bacteria.
- HCL. Hydrochloric Acid acidifies the stomach and creates the absorption factor and helps close the door on pathogens; viruses, yeast, bacteria, worms, etc..
- Yeastbiotics. This is a strain of powerful yeast probiotic. This was a key nutrient for Penny.
- Thymus glandular. Thymus support and immune support.
- Colloidal silver. Antifungal, antibacterial, antifungal, immune system booster. This was used internally and externally. Used head to toe to help heal her skin and to clean out her infected ears.
- Collagen. Helps with joint repair, muscle building, repair skin and hair and helps heal leaky gut.
- Greens. Detoxification and blood cleanser.
- Vitamin C. One of the best immune system modulators available!
- Broccoli Sprouts. Helps phase I, II and III detox, excellent antiviral nutrient.
- Young Living essential oils; Animals Scents line; Paragize and Infectaway massaged into her skin and along the spine and Animal Scents ointment on her open sores along with lots of thieves and thieves cleaner for the house. Essential oils are the PLANTS IMMUNE SYSTEM. They help get a body out of an acute situation virtually instantly – physically and emotionally.
- Baths daily with anti-candida soap and mane to tail antibacterial shampoo. Super helpful for healing open sores and balancing the skin bacteria.
- Specialized imprinted homeopathic drops, after scanning her with my bioscan system.
- Exercise daily to help strengthen muscle. Helps with detoxification and circulation and lifts mood due to the release of feel good hormones!
- Lots of LOVE
Big Improvement In Just One Week
We noticed a massive improvement within the first 7 days and Penny continued to improve each day.
- We started noticing baby hairs coming in
- Her energy – wow, amazing!
- Her itching subsided
- Her open sores started healing
- Her ears had significantly less pus in them
- Her beet red skin started to look like a normal color
- Her smell was getting better each day
- She was slowly gaining weight
- She wasn't hot to the touch anymore
- Her personality was emerging, she was getting spunky!
Interestingly, how once we fed her an ancestral diet, therapeutic supplements along with those three medications (short term), her health completely turned around. She was at least 20% better in just ONE WEEK. By week 4 she was virtually a new dog. This all could have been done years ago with the correct advice.
Where She Is Now
Such great news! Penny has a completely new lease on life. She has bounding energy, her skin is healing exponentially and her immune system is getting stronger each day. She will need to stay on fresh species appropriate food, supplements, daily exercise and avoid chemicals moving forward, understandably. I feel so grateful that I was able to help her along on her journey of wellness, very grateful.
The Bottom Line
I felt compelled to write this story to prove to the world that you can heal a body with real food and therapeutic supplements. There are more Penny's out there right now as I type and my heart aches knowing this. Please know that health does not come in a needle, a prescription “preventative” or a bag of kibble – in fact, that is exactly what *will* create illness and dis-ease. Give the body what it needs with nutrient dense materials – and it converts to HEALTHY body tissue.
A special thank you to Penny's family for staying the course with these healing therapies, it's hard work and effort, but she (and every dog) is worth it and my good friend Alison, who contacted me about Penny and helped care for her to get her above the wellness line.
"To save one life feels like you've saved the world"