As a Michigan Naturopath of over a decade I have worked with hundreds of parents and children. I help educate my clients on government rules and regulations with regards to health issues as they continue to be more aware of their body and learning how to optimize their health. Knowing about vaccines are no exception, as this is a subject that is discussed openly in my office, as we work together as health partners.
In the state of Michigan, beginning January 1, 2015, the health department implemented new laws that make opting out of vaccinating your child, selectively vaccinating or choosing your own vaccine schedule and your own timeline, a little more challenging. They made these new changes with no legislative backing and no public vote. Thankfully though, in Michigan, in addition to medical and religious exemptions, we still do have the option of the philosophical exemption, as only 19 other states currently do. (Source)
The New Changes
- You can no longer use your own exemption form or the ones from Mom Vaccines, you now must use the state's form. The problem comes in due to the exact wording on the form that you must sign.
“By signing this waiver, you acknowledge that you are placing your child and others at risk of serious illness should he or she contract a disease that could have been prevented through proper vaccination.”
The BIG questions are – is that really true that you are placing your child and others at risk of serious illness and can this form be used against you in the future?
- You also can no longer cross wording out and rewrite your own statement(s) on the form, as you used to be able to.
- If you choose to refuse vaccines, opt for selective vaccines or choose your own schedule, parents are now required to “receive education on the risks of not receiving the vaccines being waived and the benefits of vaccination to the individual and the community.” The form of education must be approved by the local health department.
Note: Summer camps and other programs may also have the same requirements, so homeschoolers are not completely exempt.
Katie from Kitchen Stewardship (MI) states –
The real problems are not as much the additional hoops parents have to jump through to obtain an exemption – although more on that later – but the question of whether the state health department actually has the legal power to make this change without legislative or civilian comment or approval, as well as the issue of parental rights, and if this new rule is a slippery slope toward too much governmental control over our kids.
These rule changes included about a dozen points, all of which only affected physicians, health departments and schools, what they report and how and so on. This line item was the only one that would seriously affect the populace.
Kelly from Kelly the Kitchen Kop (MI) contacted a vaccine rights attorney and shared the full text of his opinions about the rule change in her vaccine exemption information post recently, including this quote:
When the state requires all parents to see educational material as a prerequisite to exercising the exemption, the state is presuming that all such parents are unfit to make the decision, without the required showing. On that basis, an educational requirement is unconstitutional and must be removed.”
A Call To Action. Proactive Action Steps to Take As An Educated Parent
- Get on the newsletter list for Michigan Opposing Mandatory Vaccines to stay up to date.
- Sign up for the NVIC Advocacy portal and be ready for them to send a Michigan “action alert” telling you what to do here.
“Dear Michigan NVIC Advocacy Team Members,We wanted to alert you that the Michigan Department of Community Health has abused their rule making authority to severely restrict the process by which parents obtain non-medical vaccine exemptions for their children by circumventing the legislature and burying a single paragraph in a 19 page rule. Children entering a program after Jan 1, 2015 utilizing a non-medical exemption will now have to have the additional burden of having the local health department certify on a form prescribed by the department that the parent has received their one sided education on the benefits of vaccines and the risks of not being vaccinated in order for the exemption to be accepted by a school or a group program…” (Read the rest at this link.)
- NVIC is also collecting as many Michigan stories of vaccine reaction, harrassment, and failure as possible.
- You can always call or write your legislators directly, asking them to initiate action to remove the rule put in place by the state health department (R 325.176 of the Michigan Administrative Code) in December of 2014. Contact information for state senators and representatives is available. Many are just being sworn in to state office for the first time, so they might need some education on what you’re even talking about! Keep in mind that what you’re asking is not to enter debate on whether vaccines are necessary, effective, or anything else – just that (a) the health department did not invite public comment and should, and (b) parents should retain the right to be exempt from mandatory vaccinations.
State Laws and Forms For You
The Federal Government and Health Care System has mislead the American public, by suppressing the many options we have for immunizations. Contrary to popular belief, it is still the right of parents and individuals to choose whether or not to vaccinate. Vaccines are mandated on a federal level but individual states have the right to provide exemptions. There are three basic exemptions that states can offer: medical, religious and philosophical. (Source)
- Medical Exemption : This is when a medical doctor certifies that a vaccine is hazardous for the individual. (Unfortunately, most doctors refuse to sign a medical waiver.)
- Religious Exemption : A parents religious “beliefs” are sufficient to qualify for the religious exemption. The parents do NOT have to be part of a recognized religious organization or church.
- Philosophical Exemption (sometimes called personal or conscientious) : Based on your belief system.
Do you want to know your states vaccine laws and get your exemption forms, click here for all the information.
More Helpful Resources To Make The Best Decision For You And Your Family
How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor, by Robert S. Mendelsohn M.D. Highly recommended book.
The Vaccine Book: Making the Right Decision for Your Child (Sears Parenting Library), by Robert W. Sears.
- The Vaccination Crisis, by Vance Ferrell. Kindle download.
- Childhoood Shots website. This website offers everything you need to make an educated and informed descision regarding to vaccinate or not, with downloads, books, CD's, DVD's, interviews and more. Mary Tocco creator of Childhood Shots is on the Board of Directors for WAVE, World Association for Vaccine Education, is the Director of Vaccine Research and Education for Michigan Opposing Mandatory Vaccines is also affiliated with Mothering Magazine as a member of Ask the Experts. She speaks around the US and Canada and does radio interviews often. She is on a passionate mission to reach parents and physicians with the truth about vaccine toxicity and injury.
I have personally seen Mary speak and she does an amazing job with looking at both sides of the issue and sites and sources all of her data.
What Others In Michigan Have To Say
- Donielle from Natural Fertility and Wellness helped to unite us wellness bloggers to educate and empower all of you! Read her post on this subject: Michigan Vaccine Exemption Rules Change.
- Katie from Kitchen Stewardship did tons of research and behind the scenes digging for us and has a lot more information for you in her post: Did the State Health Department Break the Law?
- Kelly from Kelly The Kitchen Kop has been blogging about her own experience with her kids and the ins and outs of vaccine exemption with her family for many years. Kelly also spoke with a vaccine attorney on this issue in her post: New Michigan Anti-Vaccination Rules are Unconstitutional: Now Only *Their* Vaccine Exemption Form is Allowed.
- And Adrienne from Whole New Mom plans to share her thoughts as well, stay tuned.
In My Opinion
While this new rule poses some resistance and creates a hurdle for you, after all my reading, research and clinical experience, I still believe it is worth the effort to avoid the barrage of toxins that would be injected in your baby or child. And if you are still not sure what is in a vaccine, read the list below.
Vaccines contain ingredients such as MSG, antifreeze, phenol (used as a disinfectant), formaldehyde (cancer causing and used to embalm), aluminum (associated with alzheimer’s disease and seizures), glycerin (toxic to the kidney, liver, can cause lung damage, gastrointestinal damage and death), lead, cadmium, sulfates, yeast proteins, antibiotics, acetone (used in nail polish remover), neomycin and streptomycin. And the ingredient making the press is thimerosol (more toxic than mercury, a preservative still used in many vaccines, not easily eliminated, can cause severe neurological damage as well as other life threatening autoimmune disease). These vaccines are grown and strained through animal or human tissue, like monkey and dog kidney tissue, chick embryo, insect cells, calf serum, human diploid cells (the dissected organs of aborted fetuses), pig blood, horse blood and rabbit brain.
Disclaimer: I am not a licensed medical doctor, and nothing in this post should be taken as medical or legal advice.
Photo credit used with permission.