Would you like to give your food rocket-fuel for your immune system and help improve your digestion, which optimizes your entire health picture …. and very easily? Turn it into a probiotic food or drink by lacto-fermenting it!
The natural fermentation process of adding whey to foods and drinks allows beneficial organisms to proliferate, and boosts the vitamin and enzyme content … and for pennies! The benefits to you? Improved digestion and a boost for your immune system, which helps to improve your mental balance, your energy, your digestion, helps you fight infection and even helps to balance your hormones!
Examples of foods to add whey to:
- vegetables (carrots, kale, cucumbers, pickles, etc…)
- pickled meats
- ketsup, mayo, mustard and other condiments
- ice cream
- One 32-ounce container of full fat (organic is best) PLAIN yogurt
- cheesecloth, you can find one here.
- medium-size bowl
- string or rubber bands (optional)
- Lay your cheesecloth across the bowl, centering the cheesecloth.
- Pour the entire container of yogurt into cheesecloth.
- Pull the ends of the cloth up and secure with string or a rubber band.
- Tie the ends of the towel with yogurt in it to a cabinet handle above the bowl.
- Leave it to drip for about 8 hours, overnight works great.
- In the morning, if the dripping has stopped, pour the liquid in the bowl (this is the whey) into a glass jar and store in the fridge for up to six months.
- The “yogurt” left in the towel is actually cream cheese now. Put in its own container and use as you would store bought cream cheese. Here is a great spinach and artichoke dip to use it with.
- Use the whey to add to any food or beverage.