There is more and more evidence showing us how we can actually repair and remineralize our teeth and the link with eating a nutrient diet consisting of traditional foods, despite what our dentists may believe. Our teeth are our circuit breakers to our body as a whole. And it always starts with food first. The health of our teeth reflects the health of the internal body.
I used to have tons of dental issues starting from when I was a little girl up until about 15 years ago. What triggered my dental woes? Grains and sugar…hands down. I pretty much pitched a tent in the parking lot at my dentists office for a couple decades, until it was like I just flipped a switch….the circuit breaker switch!
So what did I do? Completely ditched grains and sugars, suddenly…all my dental issues were gone within a few months! Thousands of dollars later and all the emotional pain, all could have been avoided by a little real food nutritional advice back in the late seventies – and eighties by my dentist(s), doctors, teachers, mentors, etc…. This is now my opportunity to empower you, so you don't have to go through the emotional and wallet pain that I did.
Store bought conventional toothpaste contains a lot of toxic ingredients including sugar. I can taste it on my tongue, most people are used to that. Those ingredients actually contribute to more tooth decay and bacteria in the mouth. I love my natural toothpaste, I would never go back to conventional toothpaste. There is no fluoride and only natural ingredients, so this is safe and recommended for toddlers and children.
Commonly found ingredients in conventional toothpaste (even fluoride-free and “natural” ones)
Triclosan: Has the same chemical composition as some of the most toxic chemicals. Possible contamination with dioxin, a very strong hormone disrupting substance. Classified as a pesticide.
BHT (Butylated Hydroxytoluene): Immunotoxic, reproductive toxicity, strong allergen.
Fluoride ( Sodium Fluoride): Developmental-reproductive toxicity. There is now growing awareness of the necessity of fluoride free toothpaste, but it is one of many chemicals to look out for.
PEG-12: May contain harmful impurities or form toxic breakdown products linked to cancer or other significant health problems. Found in creams, lotions, cosmetics and foods.
FD&C Blue: Bioaccumulation, toxic and linked to cancer.
Sodium Hydroxide: Organ toxicity.
DEA (diethanolamine): Foaming agent, disrupts hormones and forms cancer precursors.
Propylene Glycol: Active ingredient in antifreeze. EPA demands workers handle this substance with protective gloves. Quickly absorbed by mucosa and linked to cancer.
So, if this laundry list of toxic, body harming and cancer causing ingredients scares you as much as it does me, you will be thrilled to not only make your own toothpaste, but it tastes amazing (no sugar residue left of tongue and teeth like conventional stuff) and it helps to heal your enamel, teeth and oral ecosystem.
This recipe will:
- Leave your teeth cleaner than you have ever imagined
- Will help to heal swollen gums
- Will help heal gums that typically bleed
- Will deep clean your tongue as long as you are scrubbing and scraping your tooth with the paste.
- Help naturally whiten your teeth
- Help remineralize gums, teeth and tongue
- Help minimize if not eliminate any sensitivity.
- Mix all ingredients well in a bowl.
- Using an immersion blender will give you more of a whipped paste.
- Transfer paste to a jar, I love these small jelly jars for all my beauty/cosmetic storage.
- Each family member can have their own jar, but not necessary.
- You can also put your paste into a ziplock bag, cut a hole in the end and squeeze onto toothbrush.
- Or you can put your paste into a BPA-free squeeze bottle.