If you have tooth decay, it is safe to say that you are deficient in fat soluble vitamins A, D and K. (Source). So, how can you heal your own cavities and other dental imbalances? This IS the million dollar question, isn't it! I had a lot of cavities as a little girl. I just remember every single time I went to the dentist for a check-up he found new cavities. I remember feeling so discouraged, each time, not to mention the emotional and physical pain of the appointments for me and the wallet pain for my parents. You can read more of my story here. This article takes you through my journey on how I healed my dental imbalances.
Once Upon A Time These Were My Chronic Dental Issues:
- Bleeding gums when I flossed
- Some swollen gums
- Discoloration on my tongue and feeling like my tongue was never clean
- Very cold sensitive teeth
- Two different bruised teeth from hitting a glass bottle on one and chewing on something while eating
- Cavities at every check up since I was a little girl – decades
- A lot of tooth pain after getting cavities filled
- … and ….
- Eating any type of starch or sugar, put a coating on my tongue
- Using conventional toothpaste, felt like eating a sugary snack
UPDATE: I am happy to report that I have had no need for dentistry in about a decade and all of the previous concerns have healed since implementing a traditional diet and taking nutrient rich supplementation.
More Clinical Studies ….
Those who consumed large amounts of PHYTIC ACID in the form of grains, legumes, beans and nuts/seeds had HIGHER RATES of tooth DECAY, mineral deficiencies and bone issues such as osteoporosis.
A study published in the British Medical Journal also suggests that cavities and tooth decay could potentially be healed or reversed with diet. This study was performed with 62 children. (Source)
The children were divided into three groups:
Group One: Standard diet plus oatmeal, which is high in phytic acid
Group Two: Standard diet plus supplemented with vitamin D
Group Three: Grain free diet low in phytic acid plus supplemented with vitamin D.
This is what they found:
The results found that group 1 who had a diet high in grains and phytic acid had an increase in cavities. Group 2 had improvements in cavities and less formed. Group 3 who followed a grain-free diet rich in vegetables, fruits, meat, milk and took vitamin D saw the greatest improvements in which nearly all cavities healed. (Source: British Medical Journal)
What Is At The Root of Tooth Decay and Other Oral Health Imbalances?
If your childhood dental experience was anything like mine, you went in for a check up and it never failed, the dentist found cavities. I remember feeling so defeated and frustrated at every visit, never, not one visit did the dentist say good job, no cavities. What my dentist also never told me, was that before resorting to drilling – which is one of the absolute most invasive procedures to do to the human body – that I was in control of my oral health, whether or not I got cavities and that I could actually heal them. While your genes as we know now – have very little to do with your health (the study of epigenetics) – there is much more that is at the root cause of dental issues.
Enter Dr. Weston A. Price, author of Nutrition and Physical Degeneration.
Dr. Price was a successful dentist in the early 1900's who set sail across the world to determine the root cause of tooth decay and other health issues – why some of his patients had beautiful straight white teeth, their teeth grew in straight with plenty of growing space, fertile bodies, excellent eye sight and no real signs of health issues and why other patients had cavities, cramped teeth, plaque, infertility, diabetes, and other health issues. Dr. Price studied groups of folks from different parts of the world – many that never have access to a toothbrush or floss.
Dr. Weston Price's Conclusions of the Root Causes to Tooth Decay and Other Health Imbalances:
- Lack of optimal levels of fat soluble vitamins in the diet and in the tissues. These include Vitamins A, D , E and K2. These critical vitamins are found in fat.
- Lack of adequate levels of Activator X in the diet and in the tissues.
- Lake of proper minerals in the diet.
- The body's absorption factor.
- Too much phytic acid in the diet from grains, beans, legumes, some seeds and some nuts.
What is Phytic Acid?
Phytic acid is a phosphorus molecule that is tightly bound with other molecules and minerals known as Phytates that are hard to digest and that can subsequently rob the body of vital minerals and nutrients. Phytic acid can bind minerals in the gut before they are absorbed and influence digestive enzymes. Phytates also reduce the digestibility of starches, proteins, and fats. Read much more on Phytic Acid from the Weston A. Price Foundation.
Phytic acid is the principal storage form of phosphorus in many plant tissues, especially the bran portion of grains and other seeds. It contains the mineral phosphorus tightly bound in a snowflake-like molecule. In humans and animals with one stomach, the phosphorus is not readily bioavailable. In addition to blocking phosphorus availability, the “arms” of the phytic acid molecule readily bind with other minerals, such as calcium, magnesium, iron and zinc, making them unavailable as well. In this form, the compound is referred to as phytate.
Phytic acid not only grabs on to or chelates important minerals, but also inhibits enzymes that we need to digest our food, including pepsin,1 needed for the breakdown of proteins in the stomach, and amylase, needed for the breakdown of starch into sugar. Trypsin, needed for protein digestion in the small intestine, is also inhibited by phytates.
Other Reasons and Suspected Root Causes Why Was I Getting So Many Cavities based on Dr. Prices Research?
- Your mouth – tongue, teeth, gums, breath and oral ecosystem – is a direct reflection of your gut health. Since I was ill often as a baby, toddler then young adult, I had taken rounds – I mean many rounds – of antibiotics for flus/colds, infections, pink eye, bronchitis, sinusitis, strep, bladder infections, kidney infections, you name it. My gut flora was an absolute mess. I then developed systemic pathogenic yeast and bacteria from wiping out all my good bacteria, which created this ferocious appetite of breads, buns, pastries, crackers, cookies – anything with white flour, the bugs had to have to thrive, so I was feeding the bad bugs and they continued to weaken my immune system. Then all of those starches broke down into sugar and they all contain lectins and phytic acid – known to rob critical minerals in the body.
- Growing up I ate lots of meat, potatoes and fresh fruit from our neighbors peach and cherry trees. I also ate a lot of convenience foods and prepacked foods and cereals, all high in starch and phytic acid.
- I know I had a lack of fat soluble vitamins; A,D, E and K in my diet, I rarely ate high amounts of good fats.
- Lack of micro and macro essential minerals, especially Magnesium. I was sucking on chalk when I was a little girl. A symptom of major nutritional deficiencies known as PICA.
- Poor gut flora and poor stomach pH, which created inadequate absorbability.
Energetic Tooth Relationship
How many times have you heard, “I brush and floss my teeth everyday and still get cavities”. This is the same concept as the person who washes their face faithfully, but wonders why they have acne. The health of the teeth is just like the health of the skin – it's an inside issue. The teeth mirror the function and health of the internal organs. As you can see from this energetic tooth relationship chart, each tooth meridian is connected to an organ or gland. If for example you have a weak link in your lungs or colon, then your back teeth numbers #31 and #18 most likely are weak as well. You might get decay there or those teeth might be sensitive or you may already have root canals in those teeth. When I'm assessing clients, I am able to asses all 32 teeth and all glands to look for weak links.
The Critical Missing Links In Our Modern Diets
THE PRIMARY cause of tooth decay is the absence of fat-soluble vitamins. In order to properly reverse tooth decay, you need liberal amounts of vitamin A and D and Activator X. The simplest and most effective way to add fat-soluble vitamins to your diet is by adding in fermented cod liver oil and high vitamin butter oil. (Source) I have found this to be true for our CATS and DOGS as well as humans when it comes to missing links in their modern diets.
Price used the combination of high-vitamin cod liver oil and high-Activator X butter oil as the cornerstone of his protocol for reversing dental caries. This protocol not only stopped the progression of tooth decay, but completely reversed it without the need for oral surgery by causing the dentin to grow and remineralize, sealing what were once active caries with a glassy finish. One 14-year-old girl completely healed 42 open cavities in 24 teeth by taking capsules of the high-vitamin cod liver oil and Activator X concentrate three times a day for seven months.
Price found the highest concentrations of this nutrient in “the milk of several species, varying with the nutrition of the animal” and found the combination of cod liver oil and high-Activator X butter to be superior to that of cod liver oil alone. (Source)
The Two Primary Supplements To Offer You The Nutritional Missing Links
1. Fermented Cod Liver Oil (FCLO)
Fermented cod liver oil is an oil that is extracted from the liver of cod without the use of any heat but rather a natural lacto fermentation process which preserves all the delicate properties of the Vitamin A and D. The lacto fermentation process transforms natural Vitamin A into nutrient rich metabolites that are then readily absorbed, even if you have digestive impairment. Most cod liver oils on the market process the oils and use an exorbitant amount of heat which destroys their vital vitamins and co-factors. There is no substitute for Green Pastures FCLO.
Here is a list of the benefits of fermented cod liver oil (FCLO):
- Supports tooth and bone health
- Helps heal ADHD and helps with focus
- Promotes healthy hormone balance
- Is a systemic anti-inflammatory
- Supports the health of hair, skin, and nails
- Prevents the formation of atherosclerotic plaque
- Helps manage inflammatory lung conditions (asthma)
- Promotes healthy cholesterol levels (HDL/LDL ratios)
- Reduces symptoms from arthritis (rheumatoid and osteoarthritis)
- Promotes mental health (prevents degenerative mental diseases)
- Reduces inflammatory skin conditions (acne, eczema, etc.)
- Can help heal mood disorders (anxiety, panic, bi-polar, depression, etc.). FCLO has been known as a “chill pill” to many – helping with relaxation.
- Children age 3 months to 12 years: A dose of cod liver oil that provides about 5000 IU vitamin A daily, obtained from about 1 teaspoon of regular cod liver oil or ½ teaspoon of high-vitamin cod liver oil.
- Children over 12 years and adults: A maintenance dose of cod liver oil that provides about 10,000 IU vitamin A daily, obtained from 2 teaspoons of regular cod liver oil or 1 teaspoon of high-vitamin cod liver oil.
- Pregnant and nursing women: A dose of cod liver oil that provides about 20,000 IU vitamin A daily, obtained from 4 teaspoons regular cod liver oil or 2 teaspoons high-vitamin cod liver oil.
2. High Vitamin Butter Oil
Nutrient rich high vitamin butter oil, extremely high in Activator X and Vitamin K2, this oil is extracted from the rich yellow butter fat of grass fed and pastured cows, which is centrifuged into the butter oil. Butter is ranked one of the top richest foods high in K2 – which is critical to optimize nutrition including healthy teeth. (Source)
My Oral Health Healing Protocol
- Thieves oil. I am so incredibly impressed with Thieves oil for oral health! It’s a blend of antiviral, antibacterial, antiseptic, antiparasitic, antifungal and anti-infectious essential oils: Clove, Lemon, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus, and Rosemary. You can diffuse it to kill mold and bacteria; take it internally to boost immune health; use it topically; AND use it to enhance the health of teeth and gums. Note: You must use therapeutic grade essential oils internally. I only use Young Living essential oils.
- Fermented Cod Liver Oil. I take 1 tsp daily.
- High Vitamin Oil. I take 1 tsp daily.
- Blue Ice Infused Coconut Oil. I take 1/2 tsp daily.
- Strong Probiotics. Your gut is your second brain, replenish your flora and boost your immune system.
- Homemade Bone Broth (aka liquid gold). I drink 1-2 cups per day.
- Liquid ionic minerals. I take 1 dropper of Ionic liquid Mg in my 8 oz water glass, 3x per day.
- Grass fed Gelatin. I eat it in some form daily, whether I add it to a drink, eat homemade vitamins or simply sprinkle it on food.
- Liver. I eat grass fed liver 1-2 times a week. Here are two excellent resources if you can't find local liver: CLICK HERE or CLICK HERE. You can take theses liver capsules if you are not able to source liver or if eating liver does not appeal to you.
- Seafood. I eat cold water seafood 1-2 times per week. I highly recommend this resource if you can't find fresh and good quality locally.
- Butter and Ghee. I consume liberal amounts of grass fed butter.
- Coconut Oil. I eat approximately 2 TSP per day and use externally for moisturizer, deodorant and toothpaste about another 2 TSP per day.
- I also oil pull with the coconut oil daily. If you're not sure what oil pulling is, click here.
- Sea Salt. I consume topically and externally about 2-3 TSP of pink sea salt per day.
- I focus on saturated fats, grass fed proteins, fermented foods along with a lot of leafy green produce. I only eat fruit in moderation and focus on grapefruit, green apples and green tipped bananas (on occasion).
- I avoid all grains, legumes and lectins due to their phytic acid and lectins which rob the body of vital minerals needed for optimal health including healthy teeth.
- I only drink tea; pau d'arco, a detox tea, kombucha tea and a lot of RO water with lemons. I avoid alcohol, as it throws off your pH and is refined sugar.
- I eat and drink fermented foods and beverages daily. My favorite is coconut milk kefir.
Dog and Cat Dental Health
If you follow my work at all – you know how much I emphasize the importance of our pets health, they are part of the family too. These concepts hold true when it comes to our cats and dogs. When I see tooth decay in cats or dogs, I know from the research that the animal has a vitamin A and D deficiency.
Dog and Cat Protocol: I generally follow the above protocol with the exception of the tea and give amounts based on weight and observe improvements. First and foremost, your dog or cat needs to be on a raw food diet, hand down. I give you step by step instructions in my raw food article.
- Cure Tooth Decay book. This easy to read easy to follow book is my BIBLE for healing my dental imbalances. This truly is a must have in every household.
- HealThy Mouth Oral Health Summit. This summit is extremely valuable, whether if the oral health information is for yourself, your children, or to pass on to your other loved ones or friends. All of my clients who have ordered the summit and my doctor friends/colleagues have benefited immensely.
HealThy Mouth Summit – You will learn:
- We can actually remineralize teeth including cavities – and step-by-step instructions how to do it
- That metals used in dental fillings could be a cause of disease in the body
- Tooth decay happens mostly because of factors outside our mouths and what those factors are
- Steps each of us can take to reverse tooth decay
- The risks of dental fillings AND your options if you have ‘silver’ fillings
- The proper technique to have ‘silver’ fillings removed from your mouth
- Why NOT to use fluoride in your mouth and what to use instead
- What nutrient you can use in your mouth proven to lower risk of tooth decay
- Options if you have root canals, crowns or other existing dental procedures
- How oral health directly impacts whole body health
- How what’s going on in our mouths may be a major cause of cancer
- What each of us can do in our own lives to create positive change
- How a simple, old school detox technique can help us live healthier lives
- A list of questions to ask a dentist to see if they are sufficiently trained to help us
- and much more about healing dental health – all presentations from the Nutritional Experts!
CLICK HERE to see the line-up of presenters on the HealThy Mouth Summit and to learn more.
Oral Health Products and Cleaning Tools for Healthy Gums, Tongue and Teeth
I use these daily:
- Two Ingredient Toothpaste to Restore Gum, Tongue and Tooth Health
- Earthpaste Toothpaste, if you don't want to make your own.
- Tongue Scraper (I cannot live without mine)
These are very helpful:
NOTE: this article is based on my professional and personal research and is a result of my journey, my protocol, what worked for me and what helped me heal my dental imbalances. This information is for education only and is not to replace advice or direction from your licensed dentist, medical doctor or veterinarian.
Energetic Tooth Relationships photo credit.
Did you find this article and my journey helpful, if so, please consider commenting, clicking google+ and sharing to help inspire others!