Back in the 1920's lived a Canadian Dentist named Weston Andrew Price. Dr. Price began shifting his work to travel the world and study cultures based on the diet they ate and their health, especially looking at teeth, dental arch, vision and fertility. In 1939, he published Nutrition and Physical Degeneration detailing his global travels studying the diets and nutrition of various cultures. The book concludes that aspects of a modern Western diet particularly flour, sugar, and modern processed vegetable fats, which is the standard american (SAD) diet, cause nutritional deficiencies that are a cause of many dental issues, poor vision, infertility and other health problems. The dental issues he observed include the proper development of the facial structure (to avoid overcrowding of the teeth) in addition to dental caries. Dr. Price found that eating real food: real meat, real eggs, real milk, real fat, real oils and vegetables create a healthy body. You can do this too! Here is my baby steps approach to transitioning to a real food diet and lifestyle. Make small changes if these changes seem overwhelming, however, making big changes right away will allow for better results quicker! Be aware of how the changes are positively changing your life and health, this will make transitioning into a wellness lifestyle much easier when you feel the wonderful affects of your efforts. Do a kitchen make-over. Go through the cupboards, pantry and fridge and clean out foods that are not supporting your health. It is easiest to throw out (donate) all unhealthy foods all at once. But if you are taking the baby steps approach, I recommend getting rid of food in this order:
- Grains. Grains contain lectins, gluten and phytates, which have all been linked to health issues. Grains break down to sugar in the body which feeds pathogenetic bacteria (creating gas!), can feed cancer cells, causes weight gain, inflammation and unstable blood sugar just to name a few. When I work with clients and they eliminate grains, they always feel better. Are you a WAPF-er and eat properly prepared grains? Here is Mark of Mark's Daily Apple's take on soaking and sprouting grains and health.
- Vegetable oils (corn, canola, soybean, cottonseed). These oils are rancid pro-inflammatory Omega 6 oils are artificially. They can be hidden in other foods and condiments, so scrutinize labels. Also, all store bought mayo and dressings contain these oils. These are micronutrient depleters robbing your body of vital minerals, vitamins and essential fatty acids. Instead eat coconut oil, butter, tallow, lard, olive oil, etc… Vegetable oils are also GMO crops, which have been linked to cancer. No.thank.you. Here is your definitive guide to all oils. I highly encourage everyone to read carefully.
- Processed boxed and packaged foods. These are not really foods, but food like substances. Many contain high amounts of sugar, artificial dyes and colors, toxic preservative chemicals and GMO's.
What to Stock in your Real Food Kitchen Focus is on: real meat, real eggs, real milk, real fat, real oils, fermented foods|drinks and vegetables. Organic is always best. This is the paleo lifestyle I live and it targets eliminating inflammation throughout the entire body and focuses on healing the gut.
- Beef (preferably grass-fed)
- Poultry (preferably grass-fed)
- Bison (preferably grass-fed)
- Game meat
- Organ meats (grass-fed)
Bones, Marrow, Tallow and Bone Broth Ingredients (grass-fed only)
- All eggs from any edible bird (free range and farm fresh preferably)
- Milk (preferably raw if you can tolerate) Find REAL MILK in your town.
- Butter (preferably raw if you can tolerate)
- Cheese (preferably raw if you can tolerate)
Note: if buying canned tuna, salmon, look for BPA free cans. Costco sells a great wild skipjack tuna made by Wild Planet in BPA free cans and a wonderful wild salmon.
Oils, Nuts and Seeds
- Coconut (oil/milk/flour)
- Butter (grass fed preferably)
- Tallow (beef fat)
- Lard (pork fat)
- Pumpkin seeds
- Nut butters
- Can eat any except corn (which is a grain and is registered (Bt strains) as a pesticide now by the EPA! yikes and no.thank.you)
- Limit white potatoes
- Stick to berries, green tipped bananas and green apples
- Other fruits eat only in moderation
Unlimited amounts of Spices and Herbs
- Preferably organic
Baking and Desserts
- Sunflower seeds (I use these ground up often in place of flour)
- Coconut flour
- *Blanched*Almond flour
- Cocao nibs/chips/powder
- Coconut oil
- Coconut sugar
- Coconut milk
- Cocao butter
- Shredded Coconut
- Raw Honey
- Maple Syrup Grade B
- Spices (cinnamon, etc..)
- Filtered water
- Lemons and Limes for water and tea
- Herbal teas
- Kombucha tea*
- Coconut milk kefir (my favorite!)*
- Beet kvaas*
- Primal protein smoothies
- Bone broth* or simply use bone broth protein powder
Hands down, what has changed my health and life … 360 degrees … is living a paleo lifestyle and adding *fermented foods and drinks into my diet daily. It is easy and doable, it is very helpful to have a trusted practitioner walk you through with baby steps. Feel free to let me know if you'd like my guidance.
Are you wanting to eat better, but not sure where to start? Did this guide help you? Do you have a different way to make the transition from standard foods to real foods? I would love your feedback.