Ever read, I mean really read the ingredients on the back of the dog treats package? Many of the words are hard to pronounce, have numbers and are sourced in foreign countries that do not have a very good reputation with humanely treating animals and with other food products. So scary! And not to mention that over the last few years many treats available at grocery and pet stores across the country have been linked to death. This is unacceptable to me. This is a recent article where the FDA investigated 580 dog deaths possibly linked to jerky treats. So, with that being said, not only will making your pets treats from real food ingredients be safest for them, but will also help keep them healthy and happy, because they were made from love.
Health benefits of Chia Seeds
- Chia is gluten free
- It is super high in dietary fiber, making it great for digestion and healing digestion issues.
- It contains 20% Omega 3 ALA, making it a super food for the brain and heart. Chia has eight times more Omega 3 than salmon!
- It boasts 20% protein
- The protein is a complete protein with all 8 essential amino acids
- It is high in antioxidants (It has a four times higher ORAC value than blueberries)
- Chia contains five times more calcium than milk
- Chia contains seven times more vitamin C than oranges
- It contains three times more iron than spinach
- It contains twice the potassium content of banana
- It is food for healthy skin, hair and nails, great for our pooches!
- It has a positive impact balancing blood glucose levels (making it awesome for diabetics)
- Chia makes a great egg replacement. Just combine with water to form a gel, and add it to recipes that call for egg.
Health Benefits of Flax seeds
- They are a good source of Omega-3 essential fatty acids, “good” fats that have been shown to have heart-healthy effects. Each tablespoon of ground flaxseed contains about 1.8 grams of plant omega-3s.
- They contain lignans, which have both plant estrogen and antioxidant qualities. Flaxseed contains 75 to 800 times more lignans than other plant foods.
- They are a good source of fiber. Flaxseed contains both the soluble and insoluble types.
- They are anti-inflammatory
- They help prevent cancer, heart disease and diabetes
- They help with joint pain
Many health Benefits of Coconut oil, here are just some!
- Boosts your pets immune system
- Anti-inflammatory properties
- Helps with pain and arthritis for your pet
- Fantastic for your pets skin issues, taken internally and topically
- Supports their hormone glands
- Whitens teeth naturally
- Supports the nervous system, great for anxious and nervous pets
More on Coconut Oil
Free Coconut Oil Book For You
Now is your opportunity to try it, for you and/or your pet, if you have never used coconut oil before. When you order any product through this link, you will get a copy of the Virgin Coconut Oil Book which explains the story of how it has changed peoples lives, amazing recipes and the many benefits it offers to support health. The book will automatically be added to your first time order. Click here to get your free copy.
Paleo Peanut Butter Chia Flax Dog Bone Treats
(Yields enough for 10 bones, the pan holds 10)
- 4 T chia seeds
- 6 T flax seeds
- 4 T coconut flakes
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 2 T melted coconut oil to place in mold before mix goes in
- Dog bone mold I love this one because it is: Oven safe up to 450 degrees, Microwave safe (even though I do not recommend using a microwave), Freezer safe, Dishwasher safe, FDA approved non-stick silicone
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Melt your coconut oil. Mix ingredients together and place into bone mold. Lightly oil the bone mold with your coconut oil before mix goes into it. Place filled mold onto a baking sheet and bake for approximately 35-40 minutes. Let cool for about 10-20 minutes then place mold into fridge for at least one hour until the treat firm up.
I just store the treats right in the mold in the fridge until I have given them all out to Tucker, my GSD!
P.S. here is the handsome devil himself…
Does your four legged child have health issues? Skin concerns? Allergies? Anxiety? I can help, many times in as little as 2-3 appointments. Click here to learn more.