I’ve made the switch years ago from toxic chemical cleaners and conventional air fresheners to natural ones and my home and health have never been better. Plus it really cuts down on all the clutter of plastic bottles under your sink – minimalism is my other passion. Natural cleaners improve the air quality which in turns improves my health and my German Shepherds health. And they are much healthier for children as well, whether just being in the home or helping doing some of the chores. Chemical cleaners and air fresheners disrupt delicate hormones, contribute to allergies, asthma, create ups and down in mood, contribute to headaches/migraines, hyperactivity and even cancer. But the good news is that you can ditch those and choose more effective and healthier options.
Natural Cleaning Recipes
- Add natural scent to any cleaner – Use citrus peels/rinds for extra cleaning power and natural scent by placing them into a glass jar with white vinegar poured to cover them and cap the lid tightly. Open and use mixture when ready to clean. You can also add baking soda to this mixture.
- All purpose cleaner – Mix one part vinegar, one part baking soda and two parts water together and keep in spray bottle. Essential oils can be added for even more cleaning and therapeutic power. Or use one part Dr. Bronners to two parts water and mix.
- Air freshener – Simmer lemon/lime/orange or grapefruit peels on stove with water or grind the citrus peels in garbage disposal. Also here is my all natural air freshener recipe. Or clean use one part scented Dr. Bronners to two parts water and mix.
- Carpet stains – Mix one part vinegar, one part baking soda and two parts water together and keep in spray bottle. Spray on stain and let sit for 10 minutes. Or use one part Dr. Bronners to two parts water and mix. Scrub out with sponge or lightly with scrubbing brush then vacuum.
- Cookware – Mix baking soda, sea salt and water and scrub.
- Dishwasher soap – Mix equal parts borax and washing soap. If you have hard water use more washing soap.
- Dishwashing soap – Mix one part Dr. Bronners to two parts water.
- Fabric softener – Mix one part vinegar, one part baking soda and two parts water, mix well and add 1/4 cup to final rinse of the wash cycle.
- Laundry detergent – Mix two parts borax, washing soap and one part baking soda with one grated natural bar of soap. Full instructions here for powder and here for liquid.
- Stainless steel – Water and a good quality microfiber cloth, it is that easy.
- Toilet cleaner – Undiluted white vinegar and scrub. Also, I use Dr. Bronners and the toilets are the cleanest they have ever been.
- Tile and Grout – Mix one part baking soda to one part water and make into a paste. Apply to grout and rub in with old toothbrush. Let it sit for about 10 minutes, then wipe clean with towel or sponge.
Don’t have time to make your own natural cleaners- no worries, I’ve got you covered!
Tropical traditions carries not only the worlds best quality coconut oil, coconut products and grass fed meats and eggs, but they also carry very clean and natural cleaning products as well. Perfect for the super busy mom, dad or individual who still wants to make that healthy switch. Click here to check out Tropical Traditions natural cleaners.
Click here for even more natural home ideas and recipes from my blog.