I felt very compelled to write this article after recently reading that a deadly canine virus is making its rounds in my home state of Michigan and beyond. I love my German Shepherd, Tucker butter so much, and I am sure each of you love your dogs just as much, I would hate to have anyone else lose their beloved four legged child, if this can be avoided. So far, six dogs in Ann Arbor have died within 24 hours of coming down with the illness. That is six too many, in my opinion.
The virus has already killed six dogs in the Ann Arbor area, and veterinarians say that it may be spreading from owners to their pets.
Veterinarians don’t have a name for the virus yet; it is the first time that the virus has been seen in Michigan. Vets say that dogs with the virus show flu-like symptoms within 12 to 24 hours of being infected. They typically have severe abdominal pain, vomiting, lethargy, and bloody diarrhea. Vets recommend that if a dog begins showing symptoms, that they be seen in a vet’s office right away.
The virus shows similarity to the Circovirus that sickened dogs in parts of Ohio, and San Diego last year.
No one knows how the disease is transmitted, but dogs with the virus appear to have owners who are also sick. The owners of the affected dogs were also ill, with flu-like symptoms. (Source)
Since this virus seems to be spread from humans, correcting the root cause will need to include us too.
Disclaimer: This information is for education only and it is not to replace any advise given by a medical professional for humans or pets. Please seek medical and/or veterinarian guidance before implementing any supplement and/or educational suggestion.
80% of the strength and function of your immune system is the delicate balance of your ecosystem in your gut, for humans and pets. Your gut is often the first point of exposure to pathogens. Keeping your immune system strong and the channels of elimination open is vital to stay healthy.
This animation introduces the key cells and molecular players involved in the gut- immune system connection whether it be foods, bacteria or viruses.
These are my recommendations for humans and dogs (smaller dogs <40lbs half dose) *if* you want results to rebalance the gut ecosystem and to help boost the immune system to help prevent infections and heal imbalances:
- GutPro (probiotic) (adults 4 caps/day in separate doses, children 1 cap/day, babies 1/2 cap/day)(dogs 1 cap 2x/day)
- Grass fed bone broth (adults 4 oz/day, children 2oz/day, babies 1oz/day) (dogs 1-2 oz/day mixed into kibble)
- Fermented cod liver oil (adults 1-2 tsp/day, children 1 tsp/day, babies 1/2 tsp/day)(dogs 1 tsp/day mixed into kibble)
- Grass fed organ meat 1/2-1 ‘cube' (1-4xweek for all)
- Coconut oil (adults 1-2 T/day, children 2t/day, babies 1/2t/day) (dogs 1 T/day mixed into kibble)
- Diatomaceous Earth refer to article for dosages
- The wellness real food lifestyle for people and pets (avoiding grains, pro-inflammatory oils and sugar-these feed pathogens)
This is a wonderful powerhouse of immune system boosting nutrients to help prevent and correct any ecosystem imbalance. I use this protocol for myself, my GSD, my human and pet clients… and it is very effective.