Candida albicans is a natural resident to your body, digestive tract and skin, as are many other bacteria and microorganism, but an overgrowth can mean systemic or fungal dysbiosis. The goal is not to wipe out these species, but to allow them to be balanced.
Candida is a yeast/fungus micro-organism so it can be considered vegetation, like a mushroom. Like brewer’s yeast, it metabolizes sugars and converts them to toxic alcohols called aldehydes. Many of the symptoms of Candida are produced by this toxic alcohol, the toxic proteins called antigens, mycotoxins (fungal toxins), and the neurological toxins (neurotoxins) that the Candida produces. When Candida is fed sugars, it not only strengthens its grip on you but it produces more of these toxins. Starches and carbs are naturally broken down and converted to sugars by your own body. This is normal for your health. However, Candida will eat these sugars as well. Fermented foods contain predigested sugars and substances that react like an allergen with your Candida. So sugars, starches, alcohol, and fermented foods feed Candida and make it worse.
The Gut Runs the Show
If you read my articles or follow my work at all, you will know that I frequently explain that the gut runs the show. Over 80% of our immune system is housed in the integrity of our delicate ecosystem – our gut. Keeping your body running optimally, preventing illness and imbalance, healing illness and imbalance – including imbalances such as candida, fungal infections and even cancer, the key is cleaning, correcting and repairing your gut microbiome and creating an iron-clad immune system.
You may also notice that your candida and fungal symptoms flare up when your immune system and adrenals are run down. Lack of good quality sleep, a stressful day, eating sugar and flour, a cold/flu, etc.. can set the wheels in motion for an increase in symptoms.
What are the symptoms?
- itchy skin
- brain fog
- lung issues
- sinus infections
- feeling spacey
- mood swings
- kidney infections
- bladder pain/infections
- rectal itching
- clenching jaw/grinding teeth
- sugar and/or carb cravings
- allergies (food and seasonal)
- white or yellow coating on tongue
- runny nose
- bad breath
- mucous in stool
- “netting” in stool
- bleeding gums
- body odor and under arm odor
- toenail fungus
- jock itch
- chronic infections, ear infections, colds, flu, pneumonia, bronchitis, etc..
When Candida is Systemic
When pathogenic microorganism become imbalanced and grow out of control, this can turn into an infection in the gut, colon, really any weak organ and when it gets into the blood stream or spreads throughout the body then it becomes systemic. Anyone is susceptible to a candida or fungal infections; males, females, babies, children, adults and even animals, especially our pets.
Keep in mind, bugs are Mother Nature’s decomposers. Mother Nature first gives you a warning that things are imbalanced, you start to lack energy and vitality; physically, mentally and emotionally. If you don’t pay attention, your second warning is an illness. If you still don’t pay attention, next comes an infection of some kind, or a bacterial infection, a fungal infection or a parasite infection. And then finally, you get a dis-ease and your quality of life suffers.
Most times the root cause to fungal and parasite infections is chronic stress, burned out adrenals, poor diet and lifestyle, this includes the use of antibiotics. The bugs have arrived to teach you that you must clean up the diet, your lifestyle and detox the body. A weakened immune system opens the door wide open to candida and fungal infections to take root and proliferate in your stressed body.[Tweet “Most times the root cause to fungal and parasite infections is chronic stress, burned out adrenals, poor diet and lifestyle, this includes the use of antibiotics. The bugs have arrived to teach you that you must clean up the diet, your lifestyle and detox the body.”]
Best Healing Diet
The best healing lifestyle and diet is one in which you do not feed the bugs. I do recommend a ketogenic or Paleo approach. This includes eating real food, clean food with no grains, dairy (other than grass fed butter), no sugar, no alcohol or processed foods. Your diet should consists primarily of grass fed meat, good fats, eggs, lots of green leafy and colorful vegetables, nuts and seeds and a small amount of fruit. Also include lots of fresh garlic, ginger, turmeric, coconut oil, fresh lemons, limes, grapefruit and their juices, these are especially helpful for healing candida and fungal infections. Here is my baby steps guide to eating real food. [Tweet “The best healing lifestyle and diet is one in which you do not feed the bugs”]
Optimal Healing Nutritional Protocol
Use these everyday during the protocol.
- Thieves Vitality Essential Oil. Dilute with a carrier oil and mix, then apply to skin. One drop of Thieves Vitality essential oil on tongue for oral use.
- Pau D'Arco tea and Matula tea. I recommend rotating these two teas, daily or weekly. Pau D' Arco is a South American herb that is antiparasitic, antibacterial and antifungal. Matula tea is clinically proven to eradicate all strains of H. pylori and outperforms other treatments for stomach ulcers, acid reflux and candida. Read more here.
- Liver support. This is one of the key components (which is widely ignored) to healing your body of pathogenic microbes – uncongesting the liver.
- Sacc B yeast/fungal probiotics. A yeast-eating strain of probiotics called Saccharomyces boulardii. Take on an empty stomach during the day.
- Strong Probiotics. To repopulate the healthy bacteria. Take on an empty stomach at night.
- HCL. This will help create a nice strong acidic pH in the stomach to help digest harmful microbes an help you digest and absorb nutrients. Take with meals.
- Full Spectrum Digestive Enzymes. With HCL Needed to break down pathogens, inflammation and macro-nutrients.
- Herbal Laxative. (If necessary) Use a gentle, yet effective herbal laxative during the protocol if you are not having at least 2 healthy bowel movements each day. If you are not clearing your colon, you will be auto-reabsorbing all the die-off of the microbes.
Rotate these 4 anti-fungals, every 4 days, one at a time, for 2-4 cycles.
- Oregano Oil. This helps the body transport L-carnitine, it will also help with cellular oxygenation because we’re trying to oxygenate. It’s going to be supportive to the adrenals and the immune system.
- Grape Seed Extract. This helps to build the immune system.
- Olive Leaf Extract. This is antiviral, anti-fungal, and building to the immune system.
- Candidase proteolytic enzyme. This potent enzyme is unique in that it contains a high amount of protease, which helps to break down the chitin or cell wall of candida. You cannot successfully correct a candida overgrowth without this important nutrient.
This is a 16-day rotation and the bare minimum you want to complete is two rotations, so 32 days. Most people will need three or four rotations, but this depends on how rooted the candida is in the tissues and organs. I always advocate working with a skilled practitioner to take all the guessing out.
A biofilm is any group of microorganisms in which cells stick to each other on a surface. These adherent cells are frequently embedded within a self-produced matrix of extracellular polymeric substance (EPS). (Source). Diatomaceous Earth is excellent for breaking down biofilms by slicing and dicing them. Read my article on just exactly how they can help you heal from yeast infections and much more.
How to Keep Yourself Balanced
My goal is to explain if you want to live a healthy life, have healthy relationships , have a productive work life, then get to know who you truly are and see the candida and fungal infections as an invitation to clarify your misunderstandings and come into a relationship not only with yourself, but with the essentials of nature; otherwise, if you don't, you will forever be chained to some doctor and some pill and they will not enhance the quality of your life.
Because whether you are aware of it or not, whether you feel the symptoms or not, the worst you get by not living a congruent lifestyle and making the changes that are necessary – the more bugs you get, the deeper they get into the system, and the more your quality of life goes down.
This cleanse will help balance candida and take care of about 70% of other pathogenic microbes as well. Diet and lifestyle are key to correcting and balancing your body at the root.[Tweet “Because whether you are aware of it or not, whether you feel the symptoms or not, the worst you get by not living a congruent lifestyle and making the changes that are necessary – the more bugs you get, the deeper they get into the system, and the more your quality of life goes down.”]
These are my eight essentials to be the absolute best version of you.
- Let food be thy medicine
- Balance your gut ecosystem
- Reduce your toxin exposure
- Balance your vibration and energy
- Heal your emotional wounds
- Embrace biological dentistry
- Regenerate your body with therapeutic herbs and supplements
- Adopt early imbalance detection by working with a skilled Naturopath or Functional Nutrition Practitioner, and who can help you in all the above areas.